Yes, we know that our friends at Quella Bicyle are biased against any form of transport that doesn’t include thier very pretty awesome bikes, however, just to convince all the sceptics out there, here are our ten reasons to avoid the Tube!
1. Personal space invader – The large number of people and the small space they are crammed into can only equate to one thing; no personal space.
2. Armpit air – The title says it all really! They are holding onto the handle bar, the carriage lurches and you are suddenly breathing their day old, smog built B.O. – not pleasant!
3. Bad breath – No windows and no fresh air mean it only takes one guy who had an interesting lunch to ruin the journey for the whole carriage.
4. Newspaper commuter – They sit next to you, dressed to impress in their business suit, using their broadsheet as an excuse to take up all of their and your lap space.
5. Many-bagged tourist – Piccadilly line heading South West? With Heathrow as its final destination be prepared for many backpacks in the face.
6. Loud children – Yes they may be young, and it’s not always the parents’ fault but if you are trying to quietly read the last thing you want is a crying baby in your ear.
7. Reading over your shoulder – It could be a text, book, newspaper or email. This nosey neighbour is searching for entertainment and so sponges off your literature.
8. Delays, maintenance work or strikes – As any regular commuter will tell you, a journey on the London Underground is full of setbacks for a variety of reasons.
9. Escalator Politics – it takes one person who doesn’t understand the “stand to the right or climb” mantra, for this simple system to fall apart quickly.
10. Cost – We saved the best ‘til last; with prices constantly increasing we know that a free and healthy alternative to the tube (cough, cycling, cough) is far superior on all accounts.
As spring approaches - Perhaps it's time to swap your Oyster ticket for 2 wheels.... ?
A Bit About Our Contributor Quella Bicyle:
Our zeal for style that doesn't break the bank, ensures we will continue to remain one step ahead in the cycling world; providing affordable, superior quality and a personal service to our customers from the heart of the British countryside.
Our bikes are the perfect antidote for an uninspired and overpriced market. Nestled between thoroughbred track racing and urban fashion, with a classic diamond form and an understated minimalist aesthetic, all culminating in something that is much a piece of art as a performance-driven machine.
Quella Bicycle are a British based manufacturer located in Cambridge.